Author Topic: John Fairchild  (Read 3130 times)

BigJohnson

John Fairchild
« on: April 22, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »
Here is the information I have about John Fairchild and the phony Wells Fargo belt buckles:
In the summer of 1972, Charles Snyder (Major, USAF, Ret.) of Bowie, MD bought several hundred Wells Fargo belt buckles from John Fairchild, who shipped the buckles from England to the US. Major Snyder told me that the buckles had been made in Spain, and had been designed by Fairchild. Snyder sold the buckles at his gun show in Greenbelt, MD (and other locations) for about $10 each. Snyder also had several copies of the book that supposedly "authenticated" the buckles.

admin

• Administrator
    • http://www.bogusbuckles.com
John Fairchild
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 03:09:55 AM »
This is VERY interesting information! Do you know anything else about this matter? I am particularly interested in hearing more about Fairchild and his connections with others (particularly Americans).

Thanks!

BigJohnson

John Fairchild
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »
Sorry, but I don't have any more information about Fairchild, other than the fact that he also produced the phony Confederate States Navy and Confederate States Marine Corps buckles, a quantity of which he sold to Mr. Turner Kirkland, owner and founder of Dixie Gun Works in Union City, Tennessee. Dixie Gun Works advertised these buckles in one of their catalogs in the mid 1970s as being authentic CSN and CSMC buckles. The following year, the Dixie catalog stated that the buckles were reproductions. So obviously, Dixie sold one or more of these buckles to someone who did some research and found that they were phony.
The buckles, by the way were marked with the maker's mark on the rear "ISAAC, CAMPBELL & CO. The only thing wrong was that "ISAAC" was spelled"ISSAC".
One other thing: in about 1972, I went to Dulles airport with Charlie Snyder to pick up a shipment of phony buckles that Snyder has bought from Fairchild. I helped Snyder load the buckles into the van, and rode with him to his home and helped carry the boxes of buckles inside. There were about 500 buckles, as I recall, and Snyder gave me two or three of them for helping him.

Berlinnetta

Re: John Fairchild
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 03:04:06 PM »
l grew up with John Fairchild.We were mates back in our school days.l did visit his Malibu home when it was under construction.
Have not seen him for years but still in touch with some of his family(cousins l believe he is still alive and kicking and living in North London or somewhere in Spain.

admin

• Administrator
    • http://www.bogusbuckles.com
Re: John Fairchild
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 09:43:35 PM »
Really!? Did you ever tell you about the buckles?